Saturday 29 September 2012

Crochet or Knit ?


Autumn has arrived with a vengeance and one of the things I love about the cooler weather is the excuse to make scarves, I love to have a cosy scarf wrapped around my neck, I have a drawer overflowing with them all textures and colours.
There are some brilliant free scarf patterns on line and if I could I would try them all, my intention was to make a selection of scarves using the free patterns that are available to all of us and that is still my intention but because of my hands it will take a little longer than I intended.
I made these a few weeks ago, the pattern appealed to me because I had never tried this stitch before in fact I didn't even know about it, so simple and so effective.  I know they look as if they are knitted but they are crocheted honest :)


Made with a soft and dreamy mohair with a 6 mm crochet hook, I made this one nice and long to wrap round and round.





Made with chunky yarn and a 7 mm hook, thick, warm and unbelievably quick to make.



Brown and cream chunky yarn makes an unusual stripy effect.

Do have a go at making at least one of these they are lovely to do starting with a long chain and then crocheted width-wise, find out how to make them here

I made these scarves for Loving Hands their destination will be for Operation orphan who are helping people in Serbia and Hungary this October.






20 comments:

  1. All 3 look very nice Linda. I'd like to make scarves for my family, but honestly - no one wears them that much. Darn. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debi, that's a shame because scarves are great to make I think nice mindless crochet :)

      Delete
  2. WOW! it does look like knit!! I LOVE THEM ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so pretty! I recently made a lengthwise crochet scarf myself doing half double crochet. It went together very easily and was a fun scarf to make! I like your color choices. ~Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patti, yes I think half double crochet is my favourite stitch :)

      Delete
  4. I like crochet so much. But I will begin knitting when I have finished my crochet projects.. And I must say that these scarvrs are so beautiful.. I want to make one for myself immediately..:))
    Best wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely Linda ....they look nice and warm and soft...I hate a scratchy scarf!!!
    BUT
    excuse me are you not supposed to be resting and only doing a little bit of crochet!!!! tut!


    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did these before Amanda, I have started again but very slowly, I am being good honest :)

      Delete
    2. ok then....but just remember I am lurking in the distance!! LOL!

      A x

      Delete
    3. haha ok I need someone to keep an eye on me! xx

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful pattern and wonderful cause!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are lovely. I've used a similar stitch in the round for hat borders. I like the stripey look of the back-and-forth rows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linda, the scarves are nice ! I am your new follower :) I liked that pink swing set cardigan, it's very cute:)

    I found you at Beck's blog. Do visit me sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous!! I really need a new scarf for myself! I knitted one last winter, or should I say I started knitting one at the beginning of last autumn, and finished it in time for this summer!! Oops!! Then at the end of all that I found the wool too itchy to wear :( And now I've mislaid it, just as the weather's turned freezing!! So I'm going to have to attempt another, but would like to crochet one this time as quicker, and your blog has definitely encouraged me to try a crochet one, hopefully to this pattern!! Thanks!! Now to find my lost crochet hook.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. This crochet scarf is very clever. It really looks like it is knitted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the first scarf in the lighter yarn looks the best. Do you have a link to the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi the link to the pattern is in the body of the text just above the last picture :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx